Final Exam Review Guide
Answer the following questions and define the following words on a separate sheet of paper!
Chapter 13 & 14 World War II
1. Describe how the US got involved in World War II.
2. Why did the US Congress pass a series neutrality acts during the start of World War II?
3. Why did Roosevelt sign the Lend-Lease Act?
4. Why were Japanese Americans placed in internment camps during World War II?
5. What was the outcome of the Korematsu v the United States court case?
6. What was the “Double V” campaign?
7. What did Rosie the Riveter symbolize during World War II?
8. What was the code name for the secret plan to develop the atomic bomb?
9. Why did President Truman decide to use the atomic bomb against Japan to end World War II?
10. What were the benefits of the GI Bill of Rights?
11. What role did war bonds play during World War II?
12. Compare and contrast the conferences at Yalta and Potsdam during World War II.
Chapter 15 Cold War
13. What event started the space race between the US and the Soviet Union?
14. Compare and contrast the Red Scare and McCarthyism.
15. Compare the Truman Doctrine to the Marshall Plan in regards to containing communism.
16. What were the major causes of the Korean War?
17. What was the US response to the Berlin Blockade?
18. How was Germany divided after World War II?
19. Why was General MacArthur fired during the Korean War?
20. What was the outcome at the end of the war in Korea?
21. What were satellite nations and why did the Soviet Union create them?
22. What is NATO and why was it created?
Chapter 16 Cold War at Home
23. Why did the suburbs grow following World War II?
24. How did World War II impact the post-war economy in the US?
25. What is consumerism?
26. What disease caused an epidemic in the US in the 1950s?
27. What vaccine did Jonas Salk help to develop?
28. What was the “American Dream” in the 1950s?
Chapter 17 JFK and the Cold War
29. What was the US response to the installation of missiles in Cuba?
30. How was the Cuban Missile Crisis resolved and what impact did it have on US-USSR relations?
31. What was the space race and how did it begin?
Chapter 18: The Civil Rights Movement
32. What was the significance of the following court cases: Plessy v Ferguson and Brown v Board of Education?
33. What strategy did Martin Luther King, Jr use to fight against segregation and discrimination? How does his strategy compare to Cesar Chavez?
Chapter 19: The War in Vietnam
34. Why did the US get involved in the war in Vietnam?
35. Who attempted to occupy Vietnam after World War II?
36. What was the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and what impact did it have on presidential power?
37. Why did many people oppose the draft during Vietnam?
38. How did both doves and hawks view the war in Vietnam?
39. What events help to explain why the American public turned against the war in Vietnam?
40. During the 1968 Presidential election, which candidate supported the war in Vietnam?
41. What was the purpose of the War Powers Act?
42. Why was there violence at the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
43. What impact did the war in Vietnam have on the 26th Amendment?
Chapter 20: The Politics of Protest
44. Why did the National Organization for Women (NOW) form?
45. Who made up the counterculture movement and what did they believe in?
46. What tactics did Cesar Chavez use and how do they compare to those used by Martin Luther King, Jr?
Chapter 21: Politics and Economics
47. What did the American Indian Movement believe in and what protests did they organize?
48. Why was the first Earth Day organized and what event inspired it?
49. What was the significance of the Regents of the University of California v Bakke?
50. Why was the Bracero Program important for the agricultural industry in the southwest?
Vocabulary: Be sure to define and know how the following terms fit into US History:
Convoy system Manhattan Project Lend-Lease Act
Tuskegee Airmen Rationing Iron curtain
hemispheric defense zone Fallout shelters GI Bill of Rights
Victory gardens Office of Price Administration Rosie the Riveter
V-E Day V-J Day Levittown
Truman Doctrine Cold War containment policy
NATO Marshall Plan McCarthyism
House UnAmerican Activities Committee (HUAC) Sputnik
War Powers Act Gulf of Tonkin Resolution massive retaliation
Orval Faubus Martin Luther King, Jr. De facto segregation
De jure segregation Rosa Parks
Possible Essay Topics:
1. The importance of the Battle of Midway in the course of World War II in the Pacific.
2. Brown v. Board of Education and the Plessy v Ferguson cases in the Civil Rights movement.
3. Men and women’s roles during the post war 1950s.
4. US policy towards communism in the 1950s.
5. The methods of pushing for civil rights during the 1950s and 1960s by civil rights groups.