Chapter 7::Essay Questions
Please choose ONE of the following questions to an answer in an essay
form. The criteria for an acceptable essay must include: a topic sentence,
three supporting arguments with examples and a conclusion. The outline
below may be used during the quiz but only the outline.
- What effect did the yellow journalism used by Hearst and Pulitzer
before an during the Spanish-American War have on American reactions
to the situation in Cuba? How do you feel about the use of such journalism?
Hint: the definition of yellow journalism, reason for using such journalism
and indirect results of yellow journalism.
- How was U.S. imperialism in the early 1900s similar to the concept
of "manifest destiny" that was popular during the 1800s? How
was it different? hint: the goals of both, actions taken to achieve
both and the results.
- By the turn of the century, what were the three main beliefs that
guided American foreign policy?hint: ESP(I know I told you 4)
- Explain Theodore Roosevelt’s “big stick” policy and give 3 examples of how it has been applied.(Hint: from 1900 to today)
- In your opinion, should the United States have become involved in
the affairs of Columbia, Nicaragua and mexico during the early 1900s?
hint: the effect of the Roosevelt Corallary, the results of the dollar
diplomacy and the implication of Wilson's missionary diplomacy.