Spanish American War: Birth of a
- The Spanish American War changed American and world
perceptions of the United States. Discuss how and why this happened.
- The United States gained the territories of Cuba and
Puerto Rico in the Spanish American War. Why did the U.S. want to obtain
- Public support fueled the Spanish American War. Why was
the United States public so gung-ho for this war?
- What did the Spanish American War do for the career of
- Discuss how fighting methods and military equipment in
the Spanish American War reflected the technological advances of the day.
- There is speculation amongst historians whether Spain
really blew up the Maine. What do you think? Why?
- What is spontaneous combustion? How is this theory
applied to the sinking of the Maine?
- What is yellow journalism? What was its role in the
Spanish American War? What are some examples of yellow journalism today?
- Why did the United States so easily defeat Spain?
- What did the United States gain from the Spanish
- John Hay, the Ambassador to Great Britain during the
Spanish American War, called the war a _________________.
- Why were Americans so supportive of the war?
- Discuss the role of imperialism and colonialism in the
build-up to the war.
- European countries had compulsory service at the time
of the war. The United States did not. What is compulsory service? How
does it work?
- Stokers supplied the energy necessary for the naval
ships. Discuss the role of the stokers in the US naval victory.
- Warfare is in large part determined by the terrain of
the battlefield. How did the swamps and jungles of Cuba influence and
determine strategies and tactics?
Pick one activity
· Create a newspaper front page headline for the sinking of the
· Draw a political cartoon that either takes a pro-war stance or
anti-war stance for the Spanish American War.
Debates the question of whether Spain was
responsible for the explosion of the Maine.