Discussion Questions: The Century: Happy Daze Name____________
- Dwight David Eisenhower enjoyed immense popularity when
he was president between 1953 and 1961. What was Ikešs appeal? Why was he
- The 1950s witnessed the most prosperous economy in
American history. How did this prosperity transform the country?
- Discuss gender roles in the 1950s. Why were these roles
so rigid? How have these roles changed? How have they remained similar?
- Television became part of almost every American home in
the 1950s. What was the impact of television on 1950s culture?
- Why was television so popular? How has the role of
television in American society changed? How has it remained the same?
- Rock-n-roll debuted in the 1950s and caused
consternation among some of the older generation. Why were traditionalists
so concerned about the effects of rock-n-roll?
- Discuss the impact of Elvis Presley on American culture
and American music.
- Discuss the impact of the Baby Boom. How did this boom
fuel rock-n-roll and the youth culture of the 1950s?
- What is an icon? Discuss the impact of some of the
icons of the 1950s.
- African-Americans chose the 1950s as the decade to
change the system of segregation. How did Martin Luther King, Jr. become
the leader of this Civil Rights Movement?
- Discuss the events that happened at Central High School
in Arkansas. What was the impact for the rest of the nation?
- The 1950s ushered in the era of television advertising.
Create a storyboard for a 1950s commercial.