“The Best Years”
1. What is the difference between a “hot” war and a “cold” war?
2. Winston Churchill coined the famous phrase “iron curtain.” What did Churchill mean by “iron curtain?”
3. The U.S. Government granted returning soldiers the GI Bill of Rights. What was the GI Bill of Rights? How did this bill of rights shape the coming decades?
4. What was the Baby Boom? How did it change America? What are they effects of this boom today?
5. Although the post-war economy was the most prosperous in American history, some
Americans were excluded. How did the prosperity and economic advantages of the period exclude most African-Americans and women?
6. Discuss the devastating losses Europe suffered in the war and their effects during the post-war period.
7. Discuss the ideological conflicts and differences between the United States and The Soviet Union.
8. What was the Marshall Plan? How did it shape post-war foreign policy?
9. Many times conquering army’s raped the women of the conquered nation. Why is this done?
10. What was the American reaction to the Soviets obtaining nuclear power?
11. Why was there such a different reception for Korean War veterans than World War II veterans?
12. What was a blacklist? How did political witch-hunts result in these lists?