†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† PSYCHOLOGY FINAL EXAM Ė REVIEW††††††
1. Define psychology.
2. What are the main goals of psychology?
3. What do the vast majority of psychologists study?
4. What is a hypothesis?
5. What did Jean Piagetís research show about intelligence?
6. What is object permanence?
7. What is imprinting?
8. According to Erikson, what will praise do for a young child?
9. Identify characteristics of adolescence?
10. What are the characteristics of girls who mature early?
11. On what factors do we base gender roles?
12. †What are the characteristics of adolescent thought and behavior?
13. †What are the important developmental events in a personís life, what ages do these occur?
14. †What are the characteristics of depressed teens?
15. †What are the goals of hospice?
16. †Identify the stages of dying, in order, as developed by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.
17. †How will a middle age man develop generativity according to Erikson?
18. †What are the roles of the nervous system and endocrine system in information processing?
19. Identify the characteristics of each side of the nature-nurture debate.
20. What are the characteristics of identical twins?
21. †According to Freud, what is the importance of dreams?
22. †What are the characteristics of REM sleep?
23. †Define hallucinations, illusions, delusions, and daydreams.
24. What are the characteristics of hypnosis?
25. Define the characteristics of a stage of sleep.
26. What is an absolute threshold?
27. Identify the guiding principles of Gestalt psychology.
28. Being able to hear one personís voice in a noisy room is an example of what type of perception?
29. What are the characteristics of color deficiency?
30. In classical conditioning, how would you get the best response from a conditioned stimulus?
31. Define punishment and its role in operant conditioning.
32. Define operant conditioning.
33. What is the difference between stimulus discrimination and stimulus generalization?
34. †What does an unconditioned stimulus elicit?
35. Cite examples of primary reinforcers, secondary reinforcers, token economies, response chains.
36. Define learn helplessness and its role in conditioning.
37. Compare and contrast latent learning and observational learning.
38. What is eidetic memory?
39. What is interference and how does it influence our ability to remember?
40. What are the characteristics of short term memory?
41. What is ability to identify a sound that you have heard before?
42. What are the three processes of memory?
43. Cite examples of mnemonic devices.
44. What are the characteristics of procedural memory?
45. What factors will cause a person to forget?
46. Identify the three types of memory.
47. Define insight.
48. Identify the types of thinking.
49. Define image, concept, and rule.
50. Define thinking.
51. Define prototype and concept.
52. What is metacognition?
53. What are the characteristics of telegraphic speech?
54. †Describe the experiment conducted by Harry Harlow and what it demonstrated.
55. Who developed the hierarchy of needs?
56. What is self actualization and how is it fulfilled?
57. What do psychological studies on obese individuals show?
58. What is homeostasis?
59. What is the cause of differences in emotional expressions in various cultures?
60. According to Freud, what is the role of the id, ego, and superego in person tempted to steal?
61. According to Freud, what are repression and projection?
62. According to Freud, what are displacement and sublimation?
63. According to Freud, what regression and denial?
64. According to Freud, what is reaction formation?
65. Rewards and punishments are associated with what type of psychology?
66. What area of psychology is associated with Abraham Maslow?
67. What are the differences between introverts and extroverts?
68. According to Freud, what are the characteristics of personality?
69. According to Freud, what is the importance of the unconscious to personality?
70. What are defense mechanisms and what is their purpose?
71. B.F. Skinner is associated with what area of psychology?
72. Whose theory includes the idea of the self-actualized person?
73. What are archetypes and what role do they play in personality development?
74. According to Freud, what part of the mind operates by the pleasure principles?
75. According to Adler, what motivates people?
76. What is a fixation and how does a fixation develop?
77. What factors influence the sociocutural perspective of psychology?
78. What factors will influence your level of stress?
79. Identify examples of approach-approach conflict, avoidance-avoidance conflict, and approach-avoidance conflict.
80. What is eustress?
81. What is the physical impact of extended periods of stress?
82. Define obsession and compulsion.
83. What is the extreme fear of public places?
84. Identify the characteristics of a dissociative reaction.
85. What are the characteristics of a conversion reaction?
86. Identify the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
87. Define phobia.
88. Identify the types of schizophrenia and the characteristics of each.
89. What is the criticism of trait theory?
90. According to Freud, what would cause an anxiety disorder?
91. What are the causes of dissociative amnesia
92. What are the symptoms of dissociative identity disorder?
93. What is a Freudian explanation for dissociative disorders?
94. Describe the characteristics of a conversion disorder.
95. What type of disorder is hypochondriasis?
96. What are the characteristics of disorganized schizophrenia?
97. What are the symptoms of catatonic schizophrenia?
98. Distrustfulness and suspicion are symptoms of which personality disorder?
99. Identify the characteristics of major depression.
100.Cite the symptoms of schizoid personality disorder.