Daily Lesson for teaching and evaluation of Objectives Date: 10-20-2011
Unit/Topic___Ch 8 The Progressive Era
1: The Roots of Progressive
Enabling or Performance
Ch 8 Objective:
- Americans' responses to the problems of the early 1900s shaped attitudes, government, and society during the Progressive Era.
Section 1 Objectives
- explain the progressive beliefs
- summerize progressive efforts to clean up government
- identify progressive efforts to reform state governments, protect workers and reform elections
- identify leaders of the woman suffrage movement
- explain how woman suffage was achieved
- Explain the goals and outcomes of the late 19th and early 20th century reform movements of Populism and Progressivism with emphasis on:
- Urban reform; Conservation; Business regulation and antitrust legislation; The movement for Public schooling; The regulation of child labor.
- Describe the ways in which government policy has been shaped and set by the influence of political parties, interest groups, lobbyists, the media and public opinion with emphasis on:
- Extension of suffrage;Labor legislation;Civil rights legislation;Military policy;Environmental legislation;Business regulation;Educational policy.
- Explain how civil disobedience differs from other forms of dissent and evaluate its application and consequences including:
- Women's suffrage movement of the late 1800s;
- Analyze one or more issues and present a persuasive argument to defend a position.
(notes outline or references
Chapter 8 Section 1: The Roots of Progressivism
Introduction question- Making Connections: Can Politics Fix Social Problems?
Urban Problems (online)-
Introduce Ch 8
- Introduce ch 8
Journal- Can Politics Fix Social Problems? (5 minutes)
- Discuss the progressive beliefs (5 minutes)
- Have student complete ch 8.1 Handout(10minutes)
Discuss ch 8.1 handout (10 minutes)
Introduce Urban Problems Project(5 minutes)
- Divide into groups of three (10 minutes)
- handout ch 8.1 gr
Question: What impact did the Progressive era have on Modern Day?
Hw: Chapter 8.1gr (online)