Chapter 8: Essay Questions
Please choose ONE of the following questions to answer in an essay form.
The criteria for an acceptable essay must include: a topic sentence, three
supporting arguments with examples and a conclusion. The outline below
may be used during the quiz but only the outline.
- Why do you think Wilson failed to push for equality for African Americans,
despite his progressive reforms? hint: presidents before Wilson, Wilson's
background and the primary group of people progressive reforms targeted.
- Why do you think Theodore Roosevelt is counted among America's greatest
presidents? give three reasons with examples
- Choose one of the reform movements discussed in this chapter. Explain
the goals of the movement, identify the people and groups involved in
it and identify some of the successes.
- What if Roosevelt had won another term in office in 1912? Speculate
on how this might have affected the future of progressive reforms. Hint:
Roosevelt's policies that Taft did not support, the power struggles
in the Republican party and Roosevelt's perception of what is required
of a president.
- In what ways might Illinois, Wisconsin and Oregon al be considered
trailblazers in progressive reforms? (hint: legislative reforms, leadership,